Silver Cancer Institute & Center for Chronic Disease

  • 7629 E. Pinnacle Peak Rd. Suite 108
    Scottsdale, AZ 85255


  • (480) 860-2030

Silver Cancer Institute & Center for Chronic Disease

7629 E. Pinnacle Peak Rd. Suite 108
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

(480) 860-2030

Mold Symptoms – What to Look For


‘Mold symptoms’ can refer to two, very different things. Both are serious, but it is critical for your health to know which is which, why mold has you feeling a certain way so that the steps taken to combat it are the right ones. Welcome to the Silver Cancer Institute Blog, where we will be covering topics just like this, and more, every month. Thank you for joining us and we hope that the information you find here is helpful.

mold symptoms mold cleanup

Mold Symptoms

Mold poisoning, or mycotoxicosis, affects the upper respiratory system in many ways that seem to be like a cold or flu-like. The most common of symptoms include:

  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Stuffy Nose
  • Red or Itchy Eyes
  • Itchy Skin

For those who suffer from allergies or have asthma, the symptoms can be made drastically worse Those might include:

  • Difficulty Breathing
  • Sinusitis
  • Frequent Coughing
  • Headaches
  • Exhaustion
  • Chest Colds
  • Fever

Should the exposure to mold persist long-term, the effects can be terrible. You don’t even need to have an immediate reaction to the mold and these complications can still develop.

  • Hair Loss
  • Memory Loss
  • Confusion
  • Anxiety
  • Muscle Cramps
  • Weight Gain
  • Numbness in Hands/Feet
  • Light Sensitivity


How to Diagnose Mold Poisoning

Concerned you have mycotoxicosis? Symptoms alone might not get the diagnosis they should, for that you will need several tests. To get a specific diagnosis, an allergy test, blood test, and get an assessment of the mold levels in your home or workplace are needed. The blood test looks for antibodies for mold species (including black mold) in your blood. Those would indicate that you have been exposed to molds. These tests can also find biotoxins that suggestions similar results.

Treating Mold Exposure

Treating your mold exposure or allergies can be as simple as taking an over the counter medication, but the root problem won’t go away unless something is down about where that exposure is coming from in the first place.

Nasal Rinses or Sprays

These over-the-counter meds can reduce the inflammation of airways, giving relief from a number of the symptoms. A solution of saline, warm, distilled water can also help drain out the mold spores in your nasal passages.

Over-the-Counter Medications

Antihistamines and all the other standard meds for allergies can work wonders for allergy relief from the mold.

Allergy Shots

Getting on an allergy shot therapy regime can help build your body’s immunities up over time, allowing you to one day no longer suffer from allergic reactions.

Handling Mold in the Home

If your mold exposure is coming from your home you need to take the necessary steps to halt its progress. Mold can appear within the home for multiple reasons, but it is important to get the problem sorted first before getting rid of the mold. For example, if you’ve noticed that there is a leak in the roof which is causing the walls to go damp and produce mold, it may be worth getting in touch with a roof repair Austin company (if you live in and around this area), as they’ll be able to get your roof looking as good as new. After that, you can then work on getting rid of the mold before it spreads.

Follow these tips to reduce and prevent mold in your home:

  • Get rid of any source of dampness – leaky pipes, groundwater seepage, etc.
  • Use a dehumidifier in any area that smells damp or musty. If you can smell it, it is at a point that it is too humid. Keep it lower than 50% and regularly empty the collection reservoir and coils.
  • Use A/C! Having a conditioner with a HEPA filter can trap mold outdoors and keep them from circulating in your home.
  • Change all filters regularly.
  • Don’t carpet bathrooms or basements.
  • Keep any plant containers made of straw, wicker, or hemp clean and dry.

There are plenty of avenues for mold to get into and proliferate inside your home. You want to block as many of those as possible, and to undo the damage that has already been done. If you find your home already has a host of black mold, you’ll need to remove it.

Dr. Silver himself has struggled through mold-related illnesses, so you can be sure that the treatments and help offered are accurate. He has the personal experience to understand just what the illness feels like, the worry and anxiety of not being able to identify the problem, and the relief you will experience when you begin to treat the illness. It’s not a cold, it’s not a strong flu, it is a serious reaction to harmful molds and biotoxins and needs to be treated as such!

If you or your loved ones are experiencing any of those symptoms, contact us at Silver Cancer Institute right away and we can work together to start the healing process.

Note: All blogs are provided for informational purposes only, and should not be used in place of a doctor. If you are suffering from any symptoms that you suspect are caused by black mold or mold allergies you should seek out your doctor for your best course of action.

Translate »